The idea for these bacon and cheese scones came from Jess Wakasugi comment on the Mixed Berry Oatmeal treats that they looked liked mini oatmeal scones … and I had scones on the brain ever since!
Hopefully these will take care of any scone craving you may have as well!
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
2 tablespoons Baking Powder
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) Butter, chilled and cut into cubes
1 1/2 cup Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup Milk
4 slices Bacon, crisply cooked and crumbled (approximately 1/2 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. Mix whole wheat flour, salt and baking powder until well combined.
3. Add cubed butter to flour mixture and stir until crumbly, add cheese.
4. Mix additional ingredients by hand.
5. Form into and ball and flatten on prepared baking sheet until 1 inch thick, cut into rectangles 1/2 to 1 inch wide (I used my handy-dandy pizza cutter)
6. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes or until browned and not sticky in the middle. Cool and refrigerate.
Makes 4 to 5 dozen pieces.