≡ Menu

tuna crunchers

Tuna Treats Kitty Dessert Chef Cat Treat Recipe
This cat treat recipe was part of my April Fools joke but it has been kitty tested and approved!

Ingredients
10 ounces Tuna in water (1 cup)*
2 tablespoons Catnip
1 Egg, slightly beaten
2 cups Whole Wheat Flour

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
2. In a bowl mix all ingredients one at a time, stirring well after each addition.
3. Knead dough into ball and roll onto a floured surface 1/4 inch thick. Take a straight edge and score the dough horizontally and then vertically to make a grid (I used a pizza cutter). Be careful not to completely cut through.
4. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10 to 13 minutes. Cool and break into pieces, then refrigerate.

* I made this recipe with canned chicken and a friend tested it with canned tuna, it worked perfectly both ways.
Tuna Treats Kitty Dessert Chef Cat Treat Recipe

16 comments… add one
  • Alexis AKA MOM April 4, 2011, 6:51 am

hehe I was wondering what was going on with kitty treats … lol

• Lauren April 24, 2014, 10:57 am

Hi! I am doing a Kids in the Kitchen program at my library this Summer and with our SRP theme I decided the kids will make cat or dog treats to bring home. I had 2 questions; 1. About how many does this recipe make? and 2. If eliminating the cat nip… is it a suitable treat for a dog too?
    Thank you so much for this recipe!

• DoggyDessertChef April 28, 2014, 7:34 am

That sounds like so much fun Lauren! It made quite a bit of treats, it all depends on how big you slice them. At this size it made over 5 to 6 dozen treats (I just took a rough count).
    You do need to remove the catnip but you can substitute it with dried parsley for the pups. I hope this helps. Woof!

• Stacy July 14, 2014, 3:07 pm

I’m in the midst of making them now. I am an extremely inexperienced baker and may have mixed in too much flour :) What would you recommend adding to keep them moist and avoid the dough from cracking while molding them (decided to shape into small balls before baking)…canola oil? Water? Not sure what’s best for cats.

• Al April 13, 2015, 5:48 am

Fantastic recipe!
    Thank you so much for sharing!

I am going to try it today to please my beloved kitty. :-)

• DoggyDessertChef April 14, 2015, 8:23 am

Thank you!

• em March 21, 2016, 12:41 am

do i have to add the catnip? i dont have any

• DoggyDessertChef March 21, 2016, 6:15 am

You can leave it out Em, it was just to make it a little more attractive to the kitties.

• UTBluehen March 23, 2016, 10:31 am

Does your recipe use fresh or dried catnip? I have lots of dried (the stuff that comes with cat toys). If you used fresh, I thought about going to substitute the dry and decrease to 1-1.5 tsp instead. Or rehydrating the dried catnip…? Your thoughts?

• DoggyDessertChef March 23, 2016, 5:03 pm

I used dried UTBluehen, so it sounds like what you have is perfect.

• Madi May 9, 2016, 12:21 pm

Do you know roughly what the calories per treat would be for these? I got an overweight fur baby that needs a healthy alternative to store-bought treats.

• DoggyDessertChef May 9, 2016, 4:44 pm

I don’t Madi, I haven’t found a program or app designed to calculate that for dog and cat treats.

• Cindy July 12, 2016, 1:50 pm

i have 6 cats not one would give even a sniff….my dog likes them but most dogs eat anything