The refrigerator or freezer is the best place to store your treats. They can last from 1 to 2 months in the refrigerator if stored in an air tight container.
If you need to store them longer then 2 months the freezer is the best place to keep them as they can be frozen for up to 6 months (if kept in the freezer for longer then 6 months they may start to suffer from freezer burn).
- Make sure your treats are labeled with the name of the recipe and the date they were baked.
- When feeding you can allow the cookies to come to room temperature or just feed them straight from the fridge or freezer.
- Since your homemade treats don’t have any preservatives the main concern is moisture, the drier the treat the longer it will last.
- It’s best to store each treat in it’s own separate container. If the treats are stored together you run the risk of the flavors mixing and your treats having undesired flavors.
- The uncooked dough can also be frozen for up to six months for later use. Make sure you wrap the dough twice to prevent freezer burn. When you are ready to bake, simply defrost the dough in the refrigerator and bake per the recipe directions.
As much as your dog is going to love the treats you bake I’m sure storage isn’t going to be an issue!