Are you tired of feeding your dog the same old store-bought treats? Want to give them something new and exciting that’s also a little healthier? Look no further than this apple wrapped in ham dog chew recipe! We’ll show you how to make this delicious snack for your furry friend, as well as provide some tips and variations to try.
Tips for Dehydrating Apples and Choosing the Right Ham
When making this recipe, it’s important to choose the right ingredients and prepare them properly. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Use organic apples whenever possible. Apples are one of the most heavily sprayed fruits, so it’s important to choose organic to avoid pesticide residue.
- Slice the apples thinly and evenly. This will ensure that they dehydrate properly and create a consistent texture.
- Choose ham that is plain and unseasoned. Avoid ham that is flavored or seasoned with spices or sugar, as these ingredients may not be healthy for your dog.
- If you don’t have a dehydrator, you can use an oven set to the lowest temperature. However, the dehydrator will produce the best results.
Alternatives and Variations to the Recipe
If you want to mix things up and try some variations of this recipe, there are plenty of options to choose from. Here are a few ideas:
- Try using different apple varieties, I used green apples, fee free to use whatever type you have on hand.
- Substitute the ham for turkey or chicken slices.
- You can also add a small amount of peanut butter to the apple slices for an extra flavor boost before giving them to your dog.
Storing and Serving the Dog Chews
Once you’ve made your dehydrated apple wrapped in ham dog chews, you’ll need to store them properly to keep them fresh. Here are some tips:
- Store the chews in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
- They will keep for up to a month if stored properly.
- When serving the chews, give your dog a small piece at a time to avoid overfeeding.
Ham Wrapped Apple Dog Treat Recipe
- Food Dehydrator
- 2 to 3 whole apples
- 1 pound sliced ham
- Cut the apples into 1/4" thick slices, core
- Wrap the apple slices with the slices of ham.
- Arrange the wrapped apple slices in a single layer, onto clean dehydrator trays. Leave plenty of room for air circulation.
- Set the dehydrator's temperature to the fruit/vegetable setting, set a timer for two hours.
- After two hours, start checking the apples periodically, until the desired texture is achieved. Dehydrating times will vary but the longer you dehydrate apples the crispier they will become.
- Allow to cool before serving.
By making your own dog treats, you can control what goes into them and provide your dog with the best possible nutrition. Why not give this recipe a try today and see just how much your dog will enjoy it?