Coconut/coconut milk is liked and consumed by people all around the world. Can dogs safely enjoy coconut/coconut milk? Is this popular food healthy for your furry friend?
Is coconut/coconut milk safe for dogs?
Dogs can have coconut but only in small amounts. Coconut milk can also be given to your dog but in moderation. It is not toxic but your dog might not be able to digest its excessive amount. This may cause some unpleasant side effects like upset stomach, diarrhoea, or vomiting.
Benefits of coconut/coconut milk in a dog’s diet
Let’s have a look at some of the benefits of coconut/coconut milk for dogs:
- Coconut milk is low in allergens and irritants. Many dogs are lactose intolerant and coconut milk is free of many types of allergens found in dairy milk.
- Coconut fruit is very hydrating. It acts as a moisturizer and contributes to shiny and soft fur.
- Coconut is packed with healthy fats, carbs, and proteins. It helps to build strong muscles and generate energy to fuel our dogs.
- Coconut milk is a good source of fiber, making it great for dogs with bowel irregularity issues.
- Coconut is also rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Coconut is also high in antioxidants that support the immune system and repair damage.
- Coconut contains Lauric acid that helps to combat viruses, treat yeast infections, and decrease inflammation.
But .. a few considerations before giving coconut to dogs
Coconut isn’t toxic to dogs but should be given in moderation to dogs. It contains medium-chain triglycerides that might cause gastric upset and bloat in dogs. Also, the coconut shell is not safe for dogs. It’s very hard, difficult to chew, and can result in choking hazards or intestinal blockage.
Few considerations before giving coconut milk to dogs
Processed coconut milk often contains several additives that your dog doesn’t need. Here are a few things that you must look at before giving coconut milk to your dog:
- Before feeding your dog coconut milk, you need to make sure your furry friend is not allergic to any of the ingredients in the brand you selected.
- Remember to control the amount of coconut milk your dog drinks. You can consult your Vet for a better idea of the amount of coconut milk that you add to your dog’s diet.
- Coconut milk is high in fat and excessive amounts lead to weight gain in dogs.
- Make sure to choose organic and unsweetened coconut milk. Some non-organic varieties can contain harmful additives and may be high in sugars.
- Check out the ingredients carefully. Some brands contain artificial sweetener, Xylitol. It can be highly toxic to dogs and can cause life-threatening issues.
It is undeniable that your dog will enjoy the taste of coconut and coconut-based products. As a responsible dog parent, you must ensure to satisfy their tastes safely. The nutritional value in coconut/coconut milk is very high and its small amount should be an okay treat for your dog.
Feel free to share your thoughts. We would be happy to hear from you!