mint sweet potato chews dog treat recipe
- 2 to 3 medium sized Sweet Potatoes
- 1 teaspoons dried Peppermint
- 1 teaspoon dried Spearmint
- 1/2 teaspoons Parsley
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 2 cup Water more if needed to cover sweet potatoes
- Combine water, lemon juice, peppermint, spearmint and parsley in a bowl.
- Evenly slice your yams, the thinner they are the faster they will dry.
- Place yam slices into the marinade and allow to marinate for at least an hour in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees fahrenheit.
- Place on a cookie sheet 1/4 inches apart, brush with marinade for additional flavor.
- Dry in an oven, with the door slightly open to let out moisture, for about 3 to 4 hours until you have achieved the texture you want.
- Cool and store in an air tight container.
If you have a food dehydrator that can be used to dry the chews too, just follow the manufacture instructions.
Could you tell me how these turned out? Were they flexible so they would be a good chew or were they dry so they would make a good cruchy snack?
Also was the marinade overpowering due to all dried mint or did it mellow out when cooked?
They are more a snack then a chew Vanessa. You can pull them out while they are still chewy but I left them in until they were crunchy. My pups didn’t seem to mind the mint but you can use less if you think I’d be better for yours taste buds.
Would I be able to use dried mint instead of the Peppermint and Spearmint? They’re kinda hard to find around my area, I felt lucky to find the mint!
If your pup likes it, go for it! And most of the spices I’ve seen labeled ‘dried mint’ are actually spearmint.
Made these in the dehydrator, but I think I cut the strips too narrow (like skinny French fries). They got quite crispy after just a few hours. Used a couple teabags of organic Peppermint tea, fresh parsley, lemon in the marinade. Didn’t have spearmint.
Our Frenchie boy likes them, the frenchie girl wasn’t too crazy about them (was it the flavor? The too-skinny shape? Crisp texture?) — she spit them out — and both of them will normally eat whatever is on offer. She’ll even eat snips of raw sweet potato. Suggestions?
I tried one myself to check out texture/flavor issues … texture not bad, flavor could use punching up. Will remake, maybe with a raw honey apple cider vinegar base instead of lemon water.
We had a hard time finding dried peppermint & spearmint, but then found Traditional Medicinals have both in tea bags. I checked with them and verified that all that is in them is the mint. We will be trying these this weekend. Thanks!
Mercie that’s something I never would have thought of, to use tea bags, what a great idea!