Mango is a tropical fruit and is a warm-weather favorite treat for dogs and their humans. I’m sure you’re wondering “Can my dog eat mango?”
Yes, dogs can eat mango. It’s a sweet and delicious treat and is easy for dogs to eat. So, your dog can safely eat mangoes. If you’re looking for a fun and safe treat to help expand your dog’s palate, mangoes are an excellent choice.
Keep reading to find out the benefits of mangoes for dogs and how to safely feed your dog mango.
How Many Mangoes Can A Dog Eat In A Day?
Mango can have positive health benefits for dogs if given in small portion sizes. Experts recommend that any type of treat should only make up about 10 percent of your dog’s daily diet.
Benefits Of Mango In A Dog’s Diet
Mango is delicious, versatile, and easy to add to your dog’s diet. Here are some benefits of feeding mango to your dog.
- Mangos contain essential vitamins like A, B6, C, and E. This makes the fruit a nutritious treat for your pup. All of these vitamins may help boost immunity.
- Mangos are rich in beta-carotene, an antioxidant that fights free radicals which can cause damage to your cells and potentially lead to cancer.
- Mangoes are a great source of magnesium and potassium that support a healthy heart.
- Mangoes offer both amylase compounds and dietary fiber that can help stabilize your dog’s digestive system.
- Mango is rich in vitamin A which helps support healthy eyes.
Possible Risks Of Eating Mango
Although mango is considered a safe and healthy treat, not all parts of mango are good for your dog.
- Mango skin is edible, but it may be difficult for some dogs to digest.
- Mango pits are a choking hazard and lead to intestinal blockage if consumed. The pit of this fruit also contains cyanide, which is toxic to dogs.
Whenever you introduce any new food to your dog’s diet, it is best to speak to your vet first. And if you do begin to give your dog mango, be careful to start with small qualities and watch your dog for any changes in behavior or digestive problems.
How To Serve Mango For Dogs
So now that you know that you can give your dog mango, what is the safest way to do it?
It requires a little preparation on your part. The safest way to serve mango is to:
- Wash mango thoroughly. Peel the mango and remove the pit before giving any to your dog.
- Cut the fruit up in small pieces to make it easier to digest.
- If you have a small dog, you can mash up the mango or puree them and add them to the dog’s food.
- When cut up, frozen mangoes make a nice, cool summer treat.
The benefits of mango make it a wonderful food to include in your dog’s daily diet. The bottom line on feeding mango to dogs? Moderation is the key. Just be sure that mango should be only given to your dog in a small amount.
We wish your dog stays happy and keeps wagging its tail. If you have any questions about feeding mango to your dog, please do let us know. We would be glad to hear from you.
Here are some mango recipes to try!